Immigration services

Portillo Immigration Law  provides a comprehensive package of tailored legal services.


Meet our team

(…) Attorney Portillo focuses her practice on the areas of family, wavers, business and employment immigration, asylum and removal/deportation defense…


Green Cards

A green card allows an immigrant to permanently live and work in this country. Green cards are issued based on either an immediate visa or a quota system.

The United States is a top destination for immigrants from countries around the world, and one route for gaining lawful residence here is through asylum. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants asylum to tens of thousands of people every year who can prove that they either have suffered persecution or have well founded fear of future persecution if they are made to return to their country of origin.


There are various types of business and investor visas that are available to non-U.S. citizens, including an L1-A, E1, E2 and EB(5). An L1-A visa can be used to establish a branch, franchise or subsidiary in the U.S. An E1 is for treaty country traders that control a substantial amount of trade.


There are several situations that commonly lead to a foreign national being threatened with deportation. The most prevalent of them include overstaying a visa, entering the country illegally or being arrested and convicted of a serious crime such as domestic violence, illegal possession of a firearm or drug possession.


There is a variety of reasons why certain individuals may be inadmissible for immigration benefits. The good news is that the law provides certain waivers depending on the ground of inadmissibility; in other words, a waiver is a “forgiveness.”
For some of the employment visa categories, the U.S. Department of Labor verifies that there are insufficient available, qualified, and willing U.S. workers to fill the position being offered at the prevailing wage and that hiring a foreign worker will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S.
Thousands of foreign students come to this country each year to study or train. Foreign students are allowed to enter the U.S. by acquiring an F visa (academic studies) or an M visa (vocational studies). A foreign student with an F or M visa may also be allowed to work off-campus or transfer from one school to another with the permission of the USCIS. A person currently living in the U.S. but who is not a citizen can also become a foreign student by requesting a visa category change.

* Disclaimer: Practicing only Immigration and Nationality law Throughout The United States